Interested in Marching Band? We hope so! Marching band is in amazing blend of music, travel, competition and friendship. Here is some basic information that might be helpful for you:
- Registration for marching band takes place in March (except for drumline, which has tryouts in January).
- A parent meeting will take place on March 18. At this meeting, you will meet the director and other staff, we will go through the schedule, we'll walk through the costs, and we'll talk about expectations.
- May 1, 2018: Registration deadline.
- The band will march in the Owatonna Memorial Day parade. The band will just march and play, as they haven't learned their "show" yet.
- All members of the band are expected to fully take part in "Band Camp," which happens over a week from June 4-8 at the high school. Here, they will perfect their music and will learn their choreography.
- The marching season begins on June 15th with the Lake Crystal parade. Our final parade is at Lake City on June 24th. After the season is complete, we will have an end-of-the season picnic on June 28th. See the schedule for more details.
The link to online registration is here. There are 3 steps to signing up:
- Fill out the registration form
- Go to the school's "Fee Pay" page to pay your marching band fee to the school district
- Download, print, fill out and turn in a medical release form. (Because it is a medical release, it needs to be signed and physically turned in)
- The activity fee for participating in marching band is $320. This offsets the cost of band camp, staff, music and production costs, transportation, the weekend retreat at Camp Shamineau, uniform maintenance and other costs.
Make sure you sign up for "Remind"
- Remind is our messaging app, and it's the way that Mr. Guenther most frequently communicates with band members and parents. Get more information on how to sign up for Remind.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page. There is lots of good information there (including packing lists, how parades "work," and other helpful tips.